Six days ago I installed Pg 7.4.1 on Sparc Solaris 8 also. I am hopeful that we as well can migrate a bunch of our apps from Oracle.

After doing some informal benchmarks and performance testing for the past week I am becoming more and more impressed with what I see.

I have seen similar results to what you are describing.

I found that running a full vacuum:

vacuumdb -fza

followed by a checkpoint makes it run fast again.

Try timing the update with and without a full vacuum.

I can't help but wonder if a clean shutdown includes some vacuuming.

Obviously, in a production database this would be an issue.

Please post back what you learn.

I have been doing a bunch of informat

Joe Conway wrote:
I'm trying to troubleshoot a performance issue on an application ported from Oracle to postgres. Now, I know the best way to get help is to post the schema, explain analyze output, etc, etc -- unfortunately I can't do that at the moment. However, maybe someone can point me in the right direction to figure this out on my own. That said, here are a few details...

PostgreSQL 7.4.1
bash-2.03$ uname -a
SunOS col65 5.8 Generic_108528-27 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-280R

The problem is this: the application runs an insert, that fires off a trigger, that cascades into a fairly complex series of functions, that do a bunch of calculations, inserts, updates, and deletes. Immediately after a postmaster restart, the first insert or two take about 1.5 minutes (undoubtedly this could be improved, but it isn't the main issue). However by the second or third insert, the time increases to 7 - 9 minutes. Restarting the postmaster causes the cycle to repeat, i.e. the first one or two inserts are back to the 1.5 minute range.

Any ideas spring to mind? I don't have much experience with Postgres on Solaris -- could it be related to that somehow?

Thanks for any insights.

---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 2: you can get off all lists at once with the unregister command (send "unregister YourEmailAddressHere" to [EMAIL PROTECTED])