Fabio Esposito <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> We've recently integrated postgres into an existing mature app.  Its a
> time sensitive 24x7 system.  It runs on HP9000, a K370 Dual Processor
> system.  Postgres is version 7.3.2.  Its spawned as a child from a parent
> supervisory process, and they communicate to eachother via shared memory.

You would be well advised to update to 7.3.6, though I'm not sure if any
of the post-7.3.2 fixes have anything to do with your speed problem.

> Recently it started eating up the cpu, and cannot keepup with the system
> like it used to.  The interesting thing here is that it still runs great
> on an older system with less ram, one slower cpu, and an older disk.

> We tried the following with no success:

> running VACCUUM FULL
> dropping all tables and staring anew

Did you start from a fresh initdb, or just drop and recreate user
tables?  I'm wondering about index bloat on the system tables ...

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster