On Tue, 2004-04-13 at 14:04, Jeremy Dunn wrote:

> > There's a hard limit of 1000, I believe.  Didn't it give you
> > a warning saying so?
>
> No warning at 2000, and no warning at 100,000 either!
>
> Remember we are still on 7.2.x.  The docs here
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.2/static/sql-altertable.html don't say
> anything about a limit.
>
> This is good to know, if it's true.  Can anyone confirm?

transform=# alter table data_pull alter column msg set statistics
100000;
WARNING:  lowering statistics target to 1000
ERROR:  column "msg" of relation "data_pull" does not exist
transform=# select version();
                            version
 PostgreSQL 7.4beta4 on i686-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC 2.96
(1 row)

Robert Treat

TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend