The problem is that i want to know if i need a Hardware upgrade
at the moment.

Eg i have another table rfis which contains ~ .6 million records.

SELECT count(*) from rfis where sender_uid > 0; +--------+ | count | +--------+ | 564870 | +--------+ Time: 117560.635 ms

Which is approximate 4804 records per second. Is it an acceptable
performance  on the hardware below:

DISKS: ultra160 , 10 K  , 18 GB
Processor: 2* 2.0 Ghz Xeon

What kind of upgrades shoud be put on the server for it to become
reasonable fast.

Regds mallah.