Could this be related to the O(1) scheduler backpatches from 2.6 to 2.4 kernel on newer 2.4er distros (RedHat, SuSE)?

Tom Lane wrote:

Joe Conway <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Improve spinlock code for recent x86 processors: insert a PAUSE
instruction in the s_lock() wait loop, and use test before test-and-set
in TAS() macro to avoid unnecessary bus traffic. Patch from Manfred
Spraul, reworked a bit by Tom.

I thought this had been committed to the 7.4 stable branch as well, but it appears not.

I am currently chasing what seems to be the same issue: massive context swapping on a dual Xeon system. I tried back-patching the above-mentioned patch ... it helps a little but by no means solves the problem ...

regards, tom lane