There are a few things that you can do to help force yourself to be I/O
bound. These include:

- RAID 5 for write intensive applications, since multiple writes per synch
write is good. (There is a special case for logging or other streaming
sequential writes on RAID 5)

- Data journaling file systems are helpful in stress testing your
checkpoints

- Using midsized battery backed up write through buffering controllers. In
general, if you have a small cache, you see the problem directly, and a huge
cache will balance out load and defer writes to quieter times. That is why a
midsized cache is so useful in showing stress in your system only when it is
being stressed.

Only partly in jest,
/Aaron

BTW - I am truly curious about what happens to your system if you use
separate RAID 0+1 for your logs, disk sorts, and at least the most active
tables. This should reduce I/O load by an order of magnitude.

"Vivek Khera" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

> JB> Aaron,
> >> I do consulting, so they're all over the place and tend to be complex.
Very

               http://archives.postgresql.org