If your nightly process is heavily read-only, then raid5 is probably fine. If however, there is a significant write component then it would perhaps be worth getting another disk and converting to raid10 (alternatively - see previous postings about raid cards with on-board cache). Are you seeing a lot of write activity?

Note that it is possible for a SELECT only workload to generate significant write activity - if the resulting datasets are too large for memory sorting or hashing. I'm *guessing* that with an 11G database and 1G (or was that 2G?) of ram that it is possible to overflow whatever your sort_mem is set to.

cheers

Mark

Stef wrote:

Got 3 10000 rpm SCSI raid5 on here. I doubt I will get much better than that
without losing both arms and legs...