Thanks for everyone's comments (Thomas, Steinar, Frank, Matt, William). Right now I'm bench-marking the time it takes for each step
in the end of day update process and then I am going to test a few things:
- dropping most indexes, and check the full processing time and see if there is any noticeable performance degradation on the web-end
- wrapping the updates in a transaction, and check the timing
- combining the two
- reviewing my shared_buffers and sort_memory settings

Thanks
Ron

---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 2: you can get off all lists at once with the unregister command (send "unregister YourEmailAddressHere" to [EMAIL PROTECTED])