Bill Montgomery wrote:
All,

I realize the excessive-context-switching-on-xeon issue has been discussed at length in the past, but I wanted to follow up and verify my conclusion from those discussions:

On a 2-way or 4-way Xeon box, there is no way to avoid excessive (30,000-60,000 per second) context switches when using PostgreSQL 7.4.5 to query a data set small enough to fit into main memory under a significant load.

I am experiencing said symptom on two different dual-Xeon boxes, both Dells with ServerWorks chipsets, running the latest RH9 and RHEL3 kernels, respectively. The databases are 90% read, 10% write, and are small enough to fit entirely into main memory, between pg shared buffers and kernel buffers.

I don't know if my box is not loaded enough but I have a dual-Xeon box, by DELL with the HT enabled and I'm not experiencing this kind of CS problem, normaly hour CS is around 100000 per second.

# cat /proc/version
Linux version 2.4.9-e.24smp ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) (gcc version 2.96 20000731 (Red Hat
Linux 7.2 2.96-118.7.2)) #1 SMP Tue May 27 16:07:39 EDT 2003

# cat /proc/cpuinfo processor : 0 vendor_id : GenuineIntel cpu family : 15 model : 2 model name : Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 2.80GHz stepping : 7 cpu MHz : 2787.139 cache size : 512 KB fdiv_bug : no hlt_bug : no f00f_bug : no coma_bug : no fpu : yes fpu_exception : yes cpuid level : 2 wp : yes flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm bogomips : 5557.45

processor       : 1
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 15
model           : 2
model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 2.80GHz
stepping        : 7
cpu MHz         : 2787.139
cache size      : 512 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 2
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat
pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm
bogomips        : 5570.56

processor       : 2
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 15
model           : 2
model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 2.80GHz
stepping        : 7
cpu MHz         : 2787.139
cache size      : 512 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 2
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat
pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm
bogomips        : 5570.56

processor       : 3
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 15
model           : 2
model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 2.80GHz
stepping        : 7
cpu MHz         : 2787.139
cache size      : 512 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 2
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat
pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm
bogomips        : 5570.56

Regards
Gaetano Mendola

---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster