On 21 Oct 2004 at 15:50, Thomas F.O'Connell wrote:

> If not, should I be REINDEXing manually, as well as VACUUMing manually
> after large data imports (whether via COPY or INSERT)? Or will a VACUUM
> FULL ANALYZE be enough?

It's not the vacuuming that's important here, just the analyze. If you import any data
into
a table, Postgres often does not *know* that until you gather the statistics on the
table.
You are simply running into the problem of the planner not knowing how much
data/distribution of data in your tables.

If you have large imports it may be faster overall to drop the indexes first, then
insert the
data, then put the indexes back on, then analyze.

Cheers,
Gary.

TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend