John,

I'm doing VACUUM ANALYZE once a night. Before the tests I did VACUUM and then ANALYZE.

Dirk

John A Meinel wrote:

Dirk Lutzebaeck wrote:

Greg,

Thanks for your analysis. But I dont get any better after bumping STATISTICS target from 10 to 200.
explain analyze shows that the optimizer is still way off estimating the rows. Is this normal? It still produces a 1 GB temp file.
I simplified the query a bit, now only two tables are involved (bi, df). I also vacuumed.

Are you just doing VACUUM? Or are you doing VACUUM ANALYZE? You might also try VACUUM ANALYZE FULL (in the case that you have too many dead tuples in the table).

VACUUM cleans up, but doesn't adjust any planner statistics without ANALYZE.

John
=:->