Jim C. Nasby wrote:
>> No, hash joins and hash indexes are unrelated.
I know they are now, but does that have to be the case?

I mean, the algorithms are fundamentally unrelated. They share a bit of code such as the hash functions themselves, but they are really solving two different problems (disk based indexing with (hopefully) good concurrency and WAL logging vs. in-memory joins via hashing with spill to disk if needed).

Like I said, I don't know the history, so I don't know why we even
have them to begin with.

As I said, the idea of using hash indexes for better performance on equality scans is perfectly valid, it is just the implementation that needs work.

-Neil