I did my own evaluation a few months back, because postgres was not cutting it for me. I found that postgres 8.0 (was what I was using at the time, now on 8.0.2) out performed mysql on a optiplex with 2gig meg of memory. I had postgres and mysql loaded and would run one server at a time doing testing. My tests included using aqua studios connection to both databases and .asp page using odbc connections. There was not a huge difference, but I had significant time in postgres and it was a little faster, so I just took new approaches (flattened views,eliminated outer joins etc) to fixing the issues. Joel Fradkin Wazagua, Inc. 2520 Trailmate Dr Sarasota, Florida 34243 Tel. 941-753-7111 ext 305 [EMAIL PROTECTED] www.wazagua.com Powered by Wazagua Providing you with the latest Web-based technology & advanced tools. C 2004. WAZAGUA, Inc. All rights reserved. WAZAGUA, Inc This email message is for the use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and delete and destroy all copies of the original message, including attachments.
-----Original Message----- From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Jan Wieck Sent: Monday, June 06, 2005 1:55 PM To: PFC Cc: Amit V Shah; email@example.com Subject: Re: [PERFORM] Need help to decide Mysql vs Postgres On 6/6/2005 2:12 PM, PFC wrote: > >> Please pardon my ignorance, but from whatever I had heard, mysql was >> supposedly always faster than postgres !!!! Thats why I was so surprised >> !! > > I heard a lot of this too, so much it seems common wisdom that postgres > is slow... well maybe some old version was, but it's getting better at > every release, and the 8.0 really delivers... The harder it is to evaluate software, the less often people reevaluate it and the more often people just "copy" opinions instead of doing an evaluation at all. Today there are a gazillion people out there who "know" that MySQL is faster than PostgreSQL. They don't know under what circumstances it is, or what the word "circumstances" means in this context anyway. When you ask them when was the last time they actually tested this you get in about 99% of the cases an answer anywhere between 3 years and infinity (for all those who never did). The remaining 1% can then be reduced to an insignificant minority by asking how many concurrent users their test simulated. Jan -- #======================================================================# # It's easier to get forgiveness for being wrong than for being right. # # Let's break this rule - forgive me. # #================================================== [EMAIL PROTECTED] # ---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 1: subscribe and unsubscribe commands go to [EMAIL PROTECTED] ---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 1: subscribe and unsubscribe commands go to [EMAIL PROTECTED]