I have a unique scenerio.  My DB is under "continual load", meaning
that I am constantly using COPY to insert new data into the DB.  There
is no "quiet period" for the database, at least not for hours on end.
Normally, checkpoint_segments can help absorb some of that, but my
experience is that if I crank the number up, it simply delays the
impact, and when it occurs, it takes a VERY long time (minutes) to
clear.

Thoughts?
Chris