Donald Courtney wrote:
I built postgreSQL 8.1 64K bit on solaris 10 a few months ago
and side by side with the 32 bit postgreSQL build saw no improvement. In fact the 64 bit result was slightly lower.

I'm not surprised 32-bit binaries running on a 64-bit OS would be faster than 64-bit/64-bit. 64-bit isn't some magical wand you wave and it's all ok. Programs compiled as 64-bit will only run faster if (1) you need 64-bit address space and you've been using ugly hacks like PAE to get access to memory > 2GB or (2) you need native 64-bit data types and you've been using ugly hacks to piece 32-bit ints together (example, encryption/compression). In most cases, 64-bit will run slightly slower due to extra overhead of using larger datatypes.

Since PostgreSQL hands off the majority of memory management/data caching to the OS, only the OS needs to be 64-bit to reap the benefits of better memory management. Since Postgres *ALREADY* reaps the 64-bit benefit, I'm not sure how the argument moving caching/mm/fs into Postgres would apply. Yes there's the point about possibly implementing better/smarter/more appropriate caching algorithms but that has nothing to do with 64-bit.

              http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq