Well I've got 1GB of RAM, but from analysis of its use, a fair amount
isn't being used. About 50% is actually in use by applications and about
half of the rest is cache and the rest isn't being used. Has this to do
with the max_fsm_pages and max_fsm_relations settings? I've pretty much
not touched the configuration and it's the standard Debian package.

Matt, have a look at the annotated postgresql.conf for 7.x here:

http://www.varlena.com/varlena/GeneralBits/Tidbits/annotated_conf_e.html

If you have the default settings, you're likely hampering yourself quite a bit. You probably care about shared_buffers, sort_mem, vacuum_mem, max_fsm_pages, effective_cache_size

Also, you may want to read the PostgreSQL 8.0 Performance Checklist. Even though it's for 8.0, it'll give you good ideas on what to change in 7.4. You can find it here: http://www.powerpostgresql.com/PerfList/

--
Jeff Frost, Owner       <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Frost Consulting, LLC   http://www.frostconsultingllc.com/