--On Freitag, Oktober 21, 2005 03:40:47 +0000 "Christian Paul B. Cosinas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I am having a confusion to the memory handling of postgreSQL.
I rebooted my Server which is a PostgreSQL 8.0 Running on Redhat 9, which
is a Dual Xeon Server and 6 gig of memory.

Of course there is not much memory still used since it is just restarted.

But after a number of access to the tables the memory is being used and
it is not being free up. Actually after this access to the database and
the server is just idle

The memory is still used up. I am monitoring this using the "free"
command which gives me about 5.5 gig of used memory and the rest free.
I suppose you looked at the top row of the free output?

Because there the disk-cache is counted as "used"... Have a look at the second row where buffers are counted as free, which they more or less are.

Is there something that I should do to minimize and free up the used
memory?
No, the buffers make your database faster because they reduce direct disk access

http://www.polesoft.com/refer.html
I don't :)

Mit freundlichem Gruß,
Jens Schicke
--
Jens Schicke                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
asco GmbH                     http://www.asco.de