You mentioned a "Perc" controller, so I'll assume this is a Dell.

My advice is to find another supplier. check the archives for Dell.

Basically you have no idea what the Perc controller is since it is whatever Dell decides to ship that day.

In general though you are going down the right path here. Disks first, memory second, cpu third

Dave

Yes I am looking at either the 2950 or the 6850. I think the only think that the 6850 really offers me over the 2950 is more expandability in the spare processor, and additional memory sockets. In all other respects the config I am looking at would fit either chassis. Although the 2950, being slightly newer has the DRAC 5 (dells implementation of IPMI) management, which may be useful.

I hear what you say about the raid card, but how likely are they to change it from the LSI Mega Raid one in reality? But I am open to suggestions if you have any specific models from other manufacturers I should look at. I do need to be able to get the fast hardware support on it though that I can get from the likes of Dells 4 hours on site call out, so rolling my own isn't an option on this one really (unless it was so much cheaper I could have a hot standby or at least a cupboard of all the needed parts instantly available to me)

Regards

Ben

              http://archives.postgresql.org