Gopal wrote:

Functions : Simple coordinate reprojection and intersection query +
inner join of table1 and table2.

I think I have all the right indexes defined and indeed the performance
for  queries under low loads is fast.

Can you do a EXPLAIN ANALYZE on your queries, and send the results back to the list just to be sure?

SQL server caches all the data in memory which is making it faster(uses
about 1.2GB memory- which is fine).

But postgres has everything spread across 10-15 processes, with each
process using about 10-30MB, not nearly enough to cache all the data and
ends up doing a lot of disk reads.

I don't know Windows memory management very well, but let me just say that it's not that simple.

I've read that postgres depends on OS to cache the files, I wonder if
this is not happenning on windows.

Using the Task Manager, or whatever it's called these days, you can see how much memory is used for caching.

--
  Heikki Linnakangas