Aha!

BIG difference. I won't know for sure until the biz day tomorrow but the "first blush" look is that it makes a HUGE difference in system load, and I no longer have the stats collector process on the top of the "top" list......

Karl Denninger ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
http://www.denninger.net

Tom Lane wrote:
Karl Denninger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
Hmmmmm..... now that's interesting. Stats collector IS accumulating quite a bit of runtime..... me thinks its time to go grab 8.2.4.

I think Merlin might have nailed it --- the "stats collector bug" is
that it tries to write out the stats file way more often than it
should.  So any excessive userland CPU time you see is just the tip
of the iceberg compared to the system and I/O costs incurred.

                        regards, tom lane

%SPAMBLOCK-SYS: Matched [hub.org+], message ok

%SPAMBLOCK-SYS: Matched [EMAIL PROTECTED], message ok

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend