Thanks a lot, all of you - this is excellent advice. With the data clustered and statistics at a more reasonable value of 100, it now reproducibly takes even less time - 20-57 ms per query.

After reading the section on "Statistics Used By the Planner" in the manual, I was a little concerned that, while the statistics sped up the queries that I tried immeasurably, that the most_common_vals array was where the speedup was happening, and that the values which wouldn't fit in this array wouldn't be sped up. Though I couldn't offhand find an example where this occurred, the clustering approach seems intuitively like a much more complete and scalable solution, at least for a read-only table like this.

As to whether the entire index/table was getting into ram between my statistics calls, I don't think this was the case. Here's the behavior that I found: - With statistics at 10, the query took 25 (or so) seconds no matter how many times I tried different values. The query plan was the same as for the 200 and 800 statistics below. - Trying the same constant a second time gave an instantaneous result, I'm guessing because of query/result caching. - Immediately on increasing the statistics to 200, the query took a reproducibly less amount of time. I tried about 10 different values - Immediately on increasing the statistics to 800, the query reproducibly took less than a second every time. I tried about 30 different values. - Decreasing the statistics to 100 and running the cluster command brought it to 57 ms per query. - The Activity Monitor (OSX) lists the relevant postgres process as taking a little less than 500 megs. - I didn't try decreasing the statistics back to 10 before I ran the cluster command, so I can't show the search times going up because of that. But I tried killing the 500 meg process. The new process uses less than 5 megs of ram, and still reproducibly returns a result in less than 60 ms. Again, this is with a statistics value of 100 and the data clustered by gene_prediction_view_gene_ref_key.

And I'll consider the idea of using triggers with an ancillary table for other purposes; seems like it could be a useful solution for something.