---- Original message ----
>Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 18:56:34 +0100
>From: pgsql-performance-ow...@postgresql.org (on behalf of Aljoša Mohorović
><aljosa.mohoro...@gmail.com>)
>Subject: Re: [PERFORM] getting the most of out multi-core systems for repeated
>complex SELECT statements
>To: gnuo...@rcn.com
>Cc: pgsql-performance@postgresql.org
>
>On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 4:57 PM,  <gnuo...@rcn.com> wrote:
>> Time for my pet meme to wiggle out of its hole (next to Phil's, and a day
>> later).  For PG to prosper in the future, it has to embrace the
>> multi-core/processor/SSD machine at the query level.  It has to.  And it has
>> to because the Big Boys already do so, to some extent, and they've realized
>> that the BCNF schema on such machines is supremely efficient.
>> PG/MySql/OSEngineOfChoice will get left behind simply because the efficiency
>> offered will be worth the price.
>
>this kind of view on what postgres community has to do can only be
>true if postgres has no intention to support "cloud environments" or
>any kind of hardware virtualization.
>while i'm sure targeting specific hardware features can greatly
>improve postgres performance it should be an option not a requirement.

Being an option is just fine.  It's not there now.  Asserting that the cloud
meme, based on lowest cost marginal hardware, should dictate a database engine
is putting the cart before the horse.

>forcing users to have specific hardware is basically telling users
>that you can forget about using postgres in amazon/rackspace cloud
>environments (or any similar environment).

Just not on cheap clouds, if they want maximal performance from the engine
using BCNF schemas.  Replicating COBOL/VSAM/flatfile applications in any
relational database engine is merely deluding oneself.

>i'm sure that a large part of postgres community doesn't care about
>"cloud environments" (although this is only my personal impression)
>but if plan is to disable postgres usage in such environments you are
>basically loosing a large part of developers/companies targeting
>global internet consumers with their online products.
>cloud environments are currently the best platform for internet
>oriented developers/companies to start a new project or even to
>migrate from custom hardware/dedicated data center.
>
>> Much as it pains me to say it, but the MicroSoft approach to software: write
>> to the next generation processor and force users to upgrade, will be the
>> winning strategy for database engines.  There's just way too much to gain.
>
>it can arguably be said that because of this approach microsoft is
>losing ground in most of their businesses/strategies.

Not really.  MicroSoft is losing ground for the same reason all other
client/standalone applications are:  such applications don't run any better on
multi-core/processor machines.  Add in the netbook/phone devices, and that they
can't seem to make a version of windows that's markedly better than XP.
Arguably MicroSoft is failing *because Office no longer requires* the next
generation hardware to run right.  Hmm?  Linux prospers because it's a server
OS, largely.  Desktop may, or may not, remain relevant.  Linux does make good
use of such machines.  MicroSoft applications?  Not so much.