On 02/03/2011 10:57 AM, gnuo...@rcn.com wrote:
> For PG to prosper in the future, it has to embrace the
> multi-core/processor/SSD machine at the query level

As the person who brought up the original concern, I'll add that
"multi-core at the query level" really isn't important for us. Most of
our PostgreSQL usage is through a web application which fairly
automatically takes advantage of multiple cores, because there are
several parallel connections.

A smaller but important piece of what we do is run this cron script
needs to run hundreds of thousands of variations of the same complex
SELECT as fast it can.

What honestly would have helped most is not technical at all-- it would
have been some documentation on how to take advantage of multiple cores
for this case.

It looks like it's going to be trivial-- Divide up the data with a
modulo, and run multiple parallel cron scripts that each processes a
slice of the data. A benchmark showed that this approach sped up our
processing 3x when splitting the application 4 ways across 4 processors.
(I think we failed to achieve a 4x improvement because the server was
already busy handling some other tasks).

Part of our case is likely fairly common *today*: many servers are
multi-core now, but people don't necessarily understand how to take
advantage of that if it doesn't happen automatically.

    Mark