Thank you for your advice guys. We'll definitely turn off init.d script for
PostgreSQL on the master. The standby host will be disk-based so it will be
less vulnerable to power loss.

I forgot to mention that we'll set up Wal-e <https://github.com/wal-e/wal-e> to
ship base backups and WALs to Amazon S3 continuous as another safety
measure. Again, the lost of a few WALs would not be a big issue for us.

Do you think that this setup will be acceptable for our purposes?

Thanks,
Cuong