Cea Stapleton <c...@healthfinch.com> writes:
> We are having a baffling problem we hope you might be able to help with. We
> were hoping to speed up postgres restores to our reporting server. First, we
> were seeing missing indexes with pg_restore to our reporting server for one
> of our databases when we did pg_restore with multiple jobs (a clean restore,
> we also tried dropping the database prior to restore, just in case something
> was extant and amiss). The indexes missed were not consistent, and we were
> only ever seeing errors on import that indicated an index had not yet been
> built. For example:

> pg_restore: [archiver (db)] could not execute query: ERROR:  index
> "index_versions_on_item_type_and_item_id" does not exist
>    Command was: DROP INDEX public.index_versions_on_item_type_and_item_id;

Which PG version is that; particularly, which pg_restore version?
What's the exact pg_restore command you were issuing?

> We decided to move back to a multi-job regular restore, and then the restores
> began crashing thusly:
> [2016-09-14 02:20:36 UTC]    LOG:  server process (PID 27624) was terminated
> by signal 9: Killed

This is probably the dreaded Linux OOM killer.  Fix by reconfiguring your
system to disallow memory overcommit, or at least make it not apply to
Postgres, cf
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.5/static/kernel-resources.html#LINUX-MEMORY-OVERCOMMIT

                        regards, tom lane