> Thanks Laurenz, am having a look at perf.
>
> Can you pls help understand what exactly do you mean when you say "PL/pgSQL
> is not optimized for performance like PL/SQL". Do you mean to indicate that
> app firing queries/DMLs directly would be a better option as compared to
> putting those in Stored Procs?

PL/pgSQL is perfect glue for SQL. SQL queries has same speed without
dependency on environment that executed it.

This sentence mean, so PLpgSQL is not designed for intensive mathematics
calculation.  PL/SQL is self govering environment ... it has own data
types, it has own implementation of logical and mathematics operators.
PLpgSQL is layer over SQL engine - and has not own types, has not own
operators. Any expression is translated to SQL and then is interpreted by
SQL expression interpret. Maybe in next few years there will be a JIT
compiler. But it is not now. This is current bottleneck of PLpgSQL. If your
PL code is glue for SQL queries (implementation of some business
processes), then PLpgSQL is fast enough. If you try to calculate numeric
integration or derivation of some functions, then PLpgSQL is slow. It is
not too slow - the speed is comparable with PHP, but it is significantly
slower than C language.

PostgreSQL has perfect C API - so intensive numeric calculations are
usually implemented as C extension.

Regards

Pavel