On Tue, Sep 03, 2013 at 01:15:01PM +0200, Goubier Thierry wrote:

> Le 03/09/2013 12:56, David T. Lewis a ?crit :
> >On Tue, Sep 03, 2013 at 10:58:07AM +0200, Goubier Thierry wrote:
> >>
> >>At the same time, parts of OSProcess seems to not be working under
> >>Pharo2 anyway :( I don't even think I'm able to run the tests (locked up
> >>my 3.0 image it did).
> >>

> >My last set of updates to OSProcess for Pharo were done in January 2013,
> >and it worked at that time. Has something stopped working since then?
>
> I've been using OSProcess sucessfully on Pharo1.4 and 2.0 for quite a
> long time now; however, when trying to test if I did everything right on
> a 3.0 adaptation, running the tests ended up
> 1- uncovering more deprecated warnings with things that do not exist
> under Pharo2 (so that the Pharo2 solution is deprecated on Pharo3, and
> the Pharo3 solution does not exist in Pharo2... yuck. ensureDelete it is).
> 2- test failures due to missing Xcontrol plugin? (and permanent process
> error afterwards) so I scrapped that image and my implementation, will
> rewrite everything with a fresh new image.
>
> Can I give up on trying to run OSProcess tests?

The tests require XDisplayControlPlugin in the VM in order to do many of
the multi-process tests, because #forkSqueak is used to create cooperating
VM processes for the tests. In addition, some OSProcess function will not
work on Cog.

If you can run the tests on an interpreter VM they should pass. If you
can get XDisplayControlPlugin included in the VM, then I expect that most
of the tests would pass (we would have to try it to be sure).

Otherwise, yes, you can give up on running the tests. You may still find
them useful as a source of examples and for running specific tests that
do not require #forkSqueak.

Dave

> >>Looks like a version / implementation test would be the way to go. I'll
> >>write something which should work on 2.0 / 3.0, and failure protection
> >>to fallback for anything else.
> >>
> >>Is there a standard way to test for implementation/version on all Squeak
> >>and Pharo versions ?
> >>

> >No. And as you can see from the examples in OSProcess, it is becoming
> >increasingly difficult to cobble up a solution that works for an externally
> >maintained package. If you can find a better solution, that would be great
> >:)
>
> I'm attempting something. Is is OK if I save in the OSProcess
> squeaksource repository?
>
> Thierry

Can you post the method here first? I'd like to check it on some Squeak images
before it goes into the repository.

Thanks!
Dave