A few weeks ago, I wanted to quickly update the pharo in my VPS which runs
my IRC bot.

Cent0S 6.5 (and others) cannot use latest VM from get.pharo.org because of
> different glibc version.

Fedora, Debian, OpenSuSE, Mint, CentOS, even older Ubuntus... after going
throught the list of available distros and installing every one of them, I
was left with two choices for setting up Pharo in my VPS: Gentoo and the
latest Ubuntu. I did not want to install Ubuntu in the first place because
of their policy of "latest of some things, and obsolete versions of
something else" which has bitten me time and again. But I did install it,
because I had even less interest in maintaning a remote gentoo.

So you have to compile the VM on your own. This is a (probably incomplete)
> set of the packages you will need for this task on 64-bit system:

Wouldn´t it be better for everyone to have Pharo compiled against an
"older" Glibc, for example, debian´s one, so it can run on more
distributions than "latest ubuntu"? From my point of view, asking people to
compile their own VMs doesn´t seem to foster usability.

Cheers,
Sergi