On Fri, May 16, 2014 at 10:20:47AM +0200, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:

> On 15 May 2014, at 18:46, Hilaire Fernandes <hilaire.fernan...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Great.
> >
> > As we are discussing about build, is it possible to compile CogVM on 64
> > bits architecture as it is already the case for the interpreted SqueakVM
> > (https://packages.debian.org/sid/squeak-vm)?
>
> I do not understand. To compile a regular vm in a 64bits platform is trivial.
> You just need to have the 32bits library installed.
> But to have a 64bits vm that runs on 64bits? that?s another very different
> history:
>
> - you need a 64bits image (so trace, export, etc.)
> - you need to be 64bits word size aware (not so complicated, but a lot of
> work).
> - you need 64bits plugins (a lot of them)
> - you need 64bits JIT (or no JIT at all)
>
> Some time ago there was an experimental 64bits interpreter vm (not even
> stack). Who worked with a special traced image.
> What squeak guys are doing in the link you provide is still building a 32bits
> vm.

It's experimental 64 bit image is not really all that experimental any more,
although Ian still labels it as such on squeakvm.org/unix. A compiled VM is
available there. Building it from source is just a matter of specifying
--image64
in the configure step, then doing a make.

Up to date Squeak trunk images in 64-bit format are traced daily at
http://build.squeak.org/job/Squeak%2064-bit%20image/

Dave