We have a .gitignore file that contains:
version
methodProperties.json

So, we don't bother.

The side effects of this are:
Without methodProperties.json, you have the default author and
meaningless timestamp.
Without the version file, loading does not work properly. So we have a
script that generates version files for each package before we load
into the image. At first, this script counted versions for the package
and got all the info from the git repository. But this was too
expensive (because the file system became slow when traversing the git
repo to find the meta data). So now, we just generate a version file
with a fixed author, date & time now and a UUID & version number
derived from the SHA1 of the .package directory.

We get all the meta-information directly from the git repo, using git
tools. This can be better with GitFileTree.

So we really just use basics of Monticello & Metacello and do the rest
externally from the image. We need to explore the available tools
more.