On Sat, Sep 5, 2015 at 4:43 AM, Eliot Miranda <eliot.mira...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sep 4, 2015, at 1:33 PM, stepharo <steph...@free.fr> wrote:
>
> Nobody defines urls in method comment anymore.
>
> I do.  Several places in the Cog JIT contain irks to specification
> documents.  I don't care how its implemented (providing it's preserved in
> text, or maybe have the pretty-printer scan comments for http://.  But it is
> sad that we can't have hyperlinks in text.
>
> Look I know the implementation stinks, but it can be fixed.  But if the
> functionality is lost the system is weakened.  Instead of asking what you
> can get rid if why not ask what you can reimplement or enhance more
> elegantly.

Its a reasonable strategy to start the discussion at the extreme end
and work back from there :) But if its being used we should think
harder about it.  What alternatives/workarounds are there?

First just to clarify, the aim is to remove Text from the image for
the boot-strap?

1. Save the text internally as a string in the stream format and
up-convert to Text only when its being displayed?  But I guess these
styles aren't restricted to just occurring in comments and maybe cause
problem for compilation ??

2. As a stepping stone, introduce a TextPlaceholder class within
minimal interface required by compilation which simply strips out all
styles when Text is missing from the Image. When Text is present it
#becomes back to it.  Maybe risks loosing styles editing is done on
the raw-stream-format.  Maybe any editor would show the raw ]style[
and the compiler asks for #source which strips styles out.

3. Introduce Pillar and convert across.  What are the requirements?
   a. URLs
   b. Class/method links
   c. Would you expect that Pillar can only appear in comments? Or
in-line with code?
   d. Colouring?
   ...?

btw, I haven't come across this before. Can someone point me to some
url & styled code where I can have a look at it

cheers -ben