Mariano,

I am really happy to see this and I look forword to helping you in
any way I can.

Dimitris,

It is really interesting that you should suggest this. I think it may
be a bit off topic for Mariano's initial goals, but Mariano is the
driving force behind Fuel, which is the serializer that I use for
RemoteTask in OSProcess/CommandShell. This attempts to do much of
what you suggest, using Fuel to return the results of processing
executed in a forked image (in the unix sense of "forked", i.e.
extremely memory efficient).

So maybe if I can help Mariano with his project (which of course I
plan to do anyway), then he might be able to help me turn RemoteTask
into something reliable enough for general purpose use.

Another nice connection here is that Eliot's Spur image model will
make #forkSqueak (the primitive behind RemoteTask) more efficient
in cases where the cooperating images do a lot of processing, because
memory changes are more localized in the Spur memory model. In principle
it should be possible to run very large object memories in 64-bit Spur,
while forking cooperating images that consume very little additional
real memory.

Dave