On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 3:11 PM, Peter Uhnak <i.uh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 11:55:46AM +0800, Ben Coman wrote:
>> I'm not sure what the roadmap is for git integration, but just a use case
>> that occurs to me while I work "a bit with git" for the first time from
>> Pharo.
>>
>> I install a project via a Baseline from git and makes a small improvement.
>> What is the easiest way to contribute back?  I can't push back to the
>> personal repo I downloaded from, so the easiest thing would be a single
>> menu item to:
>> 1. Fork original repository
>> 2. Push current in-Image code to a new branch in that fork.
>>
>> Maybe even...
>> 3. Issue a pull request to the original repository.
>
> This is indeed the idiomatic way to contribute on GitHub.
>
> 1. fork
> 2. install _your fork_ with gitfiletree/remote git repo
> 3. make an improvement (you can use master branch, since it's your repo, but
> that's a detail)
> 4. issue a pull request

That is how you do it if you *already* know you want to be contribute
to an application or package. But what if I was just planning to *use*
an application or package, only later I ended up tracing down a bug to
that application and fixed it.  What is the *easiest* for me to push
to my personal github account from where I make the Pull Request.
Something like this [1] from within Pharo (disclaimer, I've not
performed these action before, I had to hunt a bit to find it as an
example)...

[1] https://gist.github.com/jagregory/710671

> Maybe IceBerg (https://github.com/npasserini/iceberg) could have some nice
> interface for this eventually.

Thanks for the link.  This will be interesting to watch.

cheers -ben