First you open a bug report , then you do what Peter said and you attach
your pull request to that bug report. Github will do most of this for you ,
the only tricky part is to add the remote so each time you do git pull you
pull also from the original repo.

Generally you should use as much as you can of the github GUI , it will
make your life much easier.

If all you want is provide a bug fix , pull requests are tailor made for
such scenario.

Is there a particular problem you have with this ?