On Thu, Aug 18, 2016 at 09:35:28AM +0200, stepharo wrote:

Just so you don't misunderstand… I am not opposing those changes, I am just
asking.

> >     Proposal one:
> >
> >         We could add withoutExtension
> >
> >         withoutExtension
> >
> >                ^  (self parent / self basenameWithoutExtension)
> >

> > What is the use case for this?
> To get everything except the extension. Is it not obvious?
> How do you did it else?

What I mean is, when would you use such method?
The only use case I can see (after using FS libs for years) is to change
extension, but we already have a method for that.

> >     Proposal two:
> >
> >         We could add withoutBasename
> >
> >         withoutBasename
> >
> >                 ^ self parent
> >

> > I don't see a point of this method, why not just use #parent?
> This is a helper.
> parent is good for navigation now withoutBasename is good for manipulation
> of parts.
> It took me a while to think that I should use parent because I was looking
> for something else.

So the problem then is a documentational one.

> You convinced me this library is perfect and I will keep these extensions
> for me.

My point is, do we want to add every possible variation and helper for every
use case a person can think of?
I believe last year there was a lot of effort put into cleaning up String api;
did String end up where it is with similar approach? I don't know, I haven't
been here, that's why I am asking.

Also in other languages it is common to use `dirname` instead of parent =>
"asking for the directory name of what you have".

But as you point out in another thread, this is a documentational issue, and
not a missing method.

> >     Proposal three:
> >
> >     Not sure that it is worth
> >
> >     (note that this is not a rename)
> >
> >         withNewExtension: anExtension
> >             ^ self parent / self basenameWithoutExtension
> >     withExtension: anExtension
> >

> > Is this somehow different than using #withExtension: directly?

> Obviously since I'm with Sven one of the few persons that seem concerned
> with such aspect.

Please, just so there is no misunderstanding. I do care about it and I am not
fundamentally against it.
You sent your proposals, I've added my view, and I expect other people will add
theirs, so we can collectively discuss this and act on it.

Peter