On 10/13/2016 10:35 AM, Damien Pollet wrote:
Could you give an example what the file:// URLs look like when they contain a drive letter?

I'm afraid I don't have any Windows machines handy to see what Internet Explorer does, but as far as I can tell an absolute URL compliant with RFC 3986 might look something like

file:/c:/foo/bar

A relative URL that fits the URL syntax would be

file:c:/foo/bar

But I'm finding it difficult to tell precisely how RFCs 1738 and 3986 currently interact.

The discussion in this proposed RFC is somewhat interesting: https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-appsawg-file-scheme-02, as it directly addresses Windows file naming. In appendix B.2, it says

"When mapping a DOS- or Windows-like file path to a URI, use the drive
letter (e.g. "c:") as the first path segment. Some implementations leave the leading slash off before the drive letter. "

and appendix C.1 deals with DOS file paths.

I hope this is more helpful than it is confusing.

Regards,

-Martin