On 10/13/2016 10:35 AM, Damien Pollet wrote:
Could you give an example what the file:// URLs look like when they contain a drive letter?

I'm afraid I don't have any Windows machines handy to see what Internet Explorer does, but as far as I can tell an absolute URL compliant with RFC 3986 might look something like

A relative URL that fits the URL syntax would be

But I'm finding it difficult to tell precisely how RFCs 1738 and 3986 currently interact.

The discussion in this proposed RFC is somewhat interesting: https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-appsawg-file-scheme-02, as it directly addresses Windows file naming. In appendix B.2, it says

"When mapping a DOS- or Windows-like file path to a URI, use the drive
letter (e.g. "c:") as the first path segment. Some implementations leave the leading slash off before the drive letter. "

and appendix C.1 deals with DOS file paths.

I hope this is more helpful than it is confusing.