Hi,

> On Oct 21, 2016, at 3:55 PM, Denis Kudriashov <dionisi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > but at the rate we
> > reinvent the wheel, I often fear that I will be retired from programming
> > before we have a sane text model :/
>
> I would kindly ask for patience. What is perhaps less clear is that this
> editor is in the critical path of the GT project and we are committed to
> deliver an editor that actually works. We are still investigating different
> paths, both on the low level (like with Rope) and at the higher level (like
> how to organize the layout).
>
> I am not against to any new implementation of existing stuff. It is always
> interesting how things could be done different and especially if it provides
> better solution.
> But I really fear that new text experiments will dramatically delay releaze
> of Bloc and Sparta and following migration to new UI. And this is real
> importance for Pharo future, and not possible moldable editor.
> Text editors are very complex domain. It takes more than year to get working
> TxText and Twisty. Why not finish Bloc and Sparta with minimal effort on
> adopting TxText or Twisty to run on them?

I think there is a confusion here. Sparta was just released on all three OSs (a
major effort of Alex), Bloc is working and it even has TxText working there on
top of Sparta (another major effort of Glenn).

As to the importance of a moldable text editor that also scales properly, I
disagree with you. We need an infrastructure on top of which we can build the
next 5 years of tools. Especially in the context of GT, the goal is not to
reproduce the existing tools, but to create completely new ones that are not
possible right now, and a scalable & moldable text editor and model is a key
component for what we want to do next. That is why we will invest the effort in
this part.

We might fail in the process, but then again we might succeed. We can only
invent a new future if we first dream of it, and then try :).

Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com
www.feenk.com

“Software has no shape. Actually, it has no one shape. It has many."