The fact that method does not exist does not necessarily mean that object
does not understand a message ;)

First of all you will never see the word message mentioned in those
> languages you mentioned

Indeed in C/Java/etc there is no such word message, that is why you can
find word "method" in parentheses to the right from word "message"
(actually second word in first sentence).

In case of two other mentioned languages Smalltalk/Ruby word "message" is
common. Do you agree that it is the case in Smalltalk? ;)
For the Ruby I would like to refer to official documentation,
especially method_missing
hook (analogue of doesNotUnderstand: in Pharo).

https://ruby-doc.org/core-2.1.0/BasicObject.html#method-i-method_missing (first
sentence)
Invoked by Ruby when *obj* is sent* a message it cannot handle*.

Cheers,
Alex