Thats the illusion of people who complain , because they are so vocal ,
they think they are a majority when actually they are a small minority.

I call this "The tyranny of noise". Its in our nature to focus on the noise
and ignore the silence.

I am a huge supporter of Dark Themes, they are friendlier to the health of
the eye and much friendlier to the environment too. Their objective value
cannot be questioned. But as always personal taste plays a role here.

Whether people prefer more light to dark themes, is difficult to say. Even
though most apps come with default light themes, two common patterns emerge.
a) White themes are almost non existent (I cannot even recall another app
besides Pharo that has a white theme)
b) Dark themes are at worst the second preferred choice.

I am definitely in favour of "dictatorship/oligarchy" regimes for the
leading of open source projects. Democracy is the best political system but
it has two huge weakness. It requires the active participation of its
members and a high education, hence why it rarely works well.

In any case , its a moot point to make in such a customisable  environment
as Pharo.

I am in the middle by the way for those that wonder, I use neither Dark
(but I really like it) or White (my eyes hate it with a vengeance) theme
and I have made my own custom Blue theme which makes me an extremely tiny
minority :D

But I was raised with blue and green themes (I hate green themes) so maybe
I am biased.

In any case a huge thank you to Esteban for dark theme has made coding in
Pharo far easier for me :)