Le 21/05/2017 à 17:25, Stephan Eggermont a écrit :
At the PharoDays I was painfully reminded that SSDs perform really badly when
using small files. The Bloc tutorial used a github filetree repo and that has a
lot of files. The whole folder is 116 MB in 16K files. Copying that amount of
data should not be noticable, taking about a third of a second. With it being
in so many files, it took more than half a minute, or a hundred times as long.

That is too much overhead. How can we improve the file format in a way that
keeps the cross-platform exchange advantages and a reasonable way to view diffs
and propose small changes using the github web tools?

Write longer methods ;)

As soon as you start packing together multiple methods in a file, then the diff context view of all the tools except the smalltalk ones become problematic because it does not respect anymore the "method" context around the changes, forcing you to mentally rebuild the context of the diff.

I've done that when tracking down changes in git between two .st packages, and it really becomes a problem, like a method change + addition of a new method messes up completely the diff in terms of understanding what has really changed. And since the diff does not carry enough context for you to know in which method you are...

Cuis uses a different format with git. How does that compare? What is used in
Squeak?

Cuis: it is just the old .st package format. Cuis does not handle anything vcs related, you work in a git client. You can set dependencies between packages.

I don't know for Squeak.

Thierry

Stephan