Hi,

> On Jan 21, 2018, at 10:37 PM, Ben Coman <b...@openinworld.com> wrote:
>
> On 21 January 2018 at 23:55, Tudor Girba <tu...@tudorgirba.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> There is a difference in performance. The Announcement is slower (about 2-3x
>> slower). However, for 1M events the difference is measured in a 200-400ms,
>> which is very small.
>
> So you mean each event <1ms difference?
> btw, what is the biggest usage of events? I guess mouse movements?
> How many such events typically in 1 second of movement?
> How is performance on StackInterpreter VM?
> I guess we should keep that performant for platforms lacking JIT like
> iPads, etc…

It depends on the scene. We are still looking into how to evaluate this. That’s
why we still have both implementations around.

>> The benefit of using Announcement is that we can reuse the tooling around
>> Announcement, such as blogging and debugging.
>
> This looks really useful.  Can you describe the difference between the
> red and blue lines in the picture of the first link?

Each event goes through two passes, like in JavaScript:
- The first is called “capturing” (or filtering) and goes from the root to the
leaf. This is to allow a parent to prevent a child to react to an event.
- The second one is called “bubbling” (or handling) and goes from the leaf to
the root. This is to find the most specific element to handle the event.

Cheers,
Tudor

>>> http://www.synectique.eu / http://www.pharo.org