VMs share most of the code. At least the basic interpreter, primitives and
garbage collector.
But there are some platform specificities such as how some plugins are
managed.
Also there are different JIT backends, one per platform.
I don't know if a VM comes shipped with all of them or just the one needed.

For more details, better ask the vm-dev mailing list.

--

Guille Polito

Research Engineer

CRIStAL - UMR 9189