On 11 April 2018 at 05:05, Esteban Lorenzano <esteba...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I’ve been wondering how to better fix the problem of having windows and
> linux/macOS people contributing and the fact that files are written in
> their native system format (crlf windows, lf for the rest of the world).
>

> I digged a bit and I found a couple a link that helped me (after trying to
> understand the doc): https://stackoverflow.com/questions/170961/whats-
> the-best-crlf-carriage-return-line-feed-handling-strategy-with-git
>
> and it seems adding a .gitattributes file with this content:
>
> # Auto detect text files and perform LF normalization
> * text=auto

I see a few posts around that recommend reading
http://adaptivepatchwork.com/2012/03/01/mind-the-end-of-your-line/
which about the above line says... "This is certainly better than requiring
everyone to be on the same global setting for core.autocrlf, but it means
that you really trust Git to do binary detection properly. In my opinion it
is better to explicitly specify your text files that you want normalized."

and  https://tinyurl.com/ya9xsprx  says "We had a repo with * text=auto,
and Git guessed wrong for an image file that it was a text file, causing it
to corrupt it as it replaced CR + LF bytes with LF bytes in the object
database."

I'm unsure.  Without it the system is subject to different users' different
global settings
and I'd guess that may be a more frequent problem than Git guessing
wrong. The latter
can be fixed by a user adding an extra  .gitattributes  entry explicitly
specifying the file was binary,
whereas the former seems to introduce a confounding factor.
So probably a good line to have.

> *.st text merge=union eol=lf
>
> could fix the problem?
> can someone confirm this?

"eol=lf"   looks appropriate...
https://www.scivision.co/git-line-endings-windows-cygwin-wsl/

Most editors on Windows transparently handle LF line endings.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_text_editors#Newline_support

" merge=union" I am not familiar with, but I read at...
https://git-scm.com/docs/gitattributes
"union = Run 3-way file level merge for text files, but take lines from
both versions, instead of leaving conflict markers.
This tends to leave the added lines in the resulting file in random** order
and the user should verify the result.
Do not use this if you do not understand the implications."

What are the implications of lines being merged in a random order?

btw, has doing a callback from libgit to a custom merge driver in Pharo
been considered?
https://libgit2.github.com/libgit2/#HEAD/group/callback/git_merge_driver_apply_fn

btw2, I found (https://githubengineering.com/move-fast/) interesting...
saying... "Despite being a C library, libgit2 contains many powerful
abstractions to accomplish complex tasks that Git simply cannot do. One of
these features are indexes that exist solely in memory and allow work-tree
related operations to be performed without an actual working directory.
[...]  With the in-memory index, libgit2 is capable of merging two trees in
a repository without having to check out any of their files on disk."

On 11 April 2018 at 05:55, Esteban Lorenzano <esteba...@gmail.com> wrote:

> or a .iceberg file?
>
> Esteban
>
> ps: yep, we need it… we will have it, why not start now?

Do you mean Iceberg would clone a repo, and from its included  .iceberg
file
a matching  .gitattributes  file would be created?
That seems like double handling.
Why not have the user edit the  .gitattributes  file directly from Iceberg?
Iceberg might provide some appropriate templates.

cheers -ben