--- Begin Message ---
I'm more about wanting an iOS VM and to do that you need to build and sign
through Apple's tool set as far as I know.

And the debugging experience is much more pleasant - especially when making FFI
calls into Apple's system libraries.

CMake can build an Xcode project from a CMake build system I believe.  At least
there is a cross platform marine navigation project called OpenCPN (written in
C++ and which relies on wxWidgets) that does this.

So I'm not arguing to have the official builds in Xcode, but if you want to
build an app and ship it on iPhone or Mac, Xcode is the build system you are
going to need to submit it to the App store.

> On Oct 28, 2018, at 12:27 PM, Eliot Miranda <eliot.mira...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Todd,
>
> On Fri, Oct 26, 2018 at 10:00 AM Todd Blanchard via Pharo-dev
> <pharo-dev@lists.pharo.org <mailto:pharo-dev@lists.pharo.org>> wrote:
> Does anyone have Xcode projects for building the VM on iOS or Mac?  Can they
> share them or give me some tips for setting one up?
>
> First I'd like to know your use case.  I presume it;'s for debugging, but it
> may be more for browsing.  Can you say?  (Personally I find raw lldb adequate
> for debugging).
>
> Second, my reasons for not using Xcode projects for building the Mac VMs are
> that
> - Xcode projects, being a serialization of an object graph, are difficult to
> edit, and they offer no parameterisation, so whereas there is one small set
> of makefiles (8 in all) for all of the 32-bit and 64-bit builds on Mac, there
> had to be a separate Xcode project for each build.  When adding Spur this was
> simply unsupportable
> - clearly Xcode is not necessary for building, browsing, or debugging; people
> are able to accomplish all three tasks using other tools
>
> However, I do appreciate that Xcode is a more pleasant and higher-level GUI
> interface than the shell, make, lldb and one's favorite editor.  What I would
> support is a tool that created an Xcode project from Makefiles; such tools
> used to exist.  I'd love to see such a tool.  What I will fight against until
> my dying breath is any attempt to replace the Makefile based build system
> with Xcode.  I hope the reasons above justify why.

> best, Eliot

--- End Message ---