2010/8/30 Stéphane Ducasse <stephane.duca...@inria.fr>:

> On Aug 30, 2010, at 9:57 PM, Nicolas Cellier wrote:
>
>> Hi Pharoers,
>> I'm happy to read mail from Torsten, Igor and Miguel, thank you guys
>> that's constructive.
>> Andreas expressed his point very well, and i don't think it is
>> hostile, maybe a bit sarcastic or disenchanted, but overall he keeps
>> the door opened.
>> The first thing to do is to cool down, relax and think.
>> The second thing to do is engaging discussion with Andreas.
>>
>> Of course, the license is of prime importance, not having a license is
>> a showstopper.
>> If license is too restrictive then Andreas will probably fail to reach
>> his goals...
>> There will be de facto full rewrite rather than forks, but the net
>> result will be the same: failure to share packages/libraries.
>
> why?
> because if there is a rewrite it will be MIT.
>
>> That's why I personnally don't find Andreas defensive position a good
>> strategy.
>> Neither the attitude in response...
>> It's like you're happy to throw his work away at first occasion
>> without even trying to negociate.
>
> Oh no. I do not want that people bash us as people stealing work of other
> people.
> Read my mail on webClient.

Sure, one thing is to remove WebClient and fulfill Andreas request.
One other is to refuse to open discussion and engage a rewrite immediately.

>> Bad vibrations.
>
> Writing all these mails is even more for me.
>
>> Before you engage in this (war)path, please, please, discuss.
>> And remind this saying "il ne faut pas confondre vitesse et précipitation".
>> If no agreement is found then, ok, you'll get a license to carry on.
>

> So far we talk in the desert.

You don't have to shout in the desert. Just mail Andreas, he claimed
not being informed.

>> After the license problem, there is the technical compatibility problem.
>> Discussions about cross fork compatibility, compatibility layers or
>> libraries (a la GREASE) will have to occur anyway, be it about Andreas
>> library or from any other author. So you'll have to take time to
>> discuss. Don't consider this as lost time. These discussions are
>> considered necessary when they regularly happens in Pharo mailing
>> list, aren't they ? It shouldn't be that hard to convince Andreas to
>> change things like and:and:and:. For squeakToUtf8, I don't know, maybe
>> provide some automated rewrite rules, and produce an automated Pharo
>> version ?
>
> I already suggested that. Now there is an important point. Infrastructure code
> should be supported, accessible to the community. We got burned with graphics
> andreas' onwership in the past. And yes we learned from that.

The past is the past. Maybe there were clumsyness from both sides... I
can't know.
One thing is sure, without communication, no possible agreement.

>> Please, discuss, argue, explain why you consider certain constructions
>> as bad style. Propose alternatives (be constructive - remember
>> coopetition ?).
>> I consider being unable to explain one's own choice as a weakness.
>> Don't be weak.
>> Come-on guys, despite Levente's cutting remark, you're not inferior to
>> squeakers ;) (and you don't have to answer to that stupid conclusion).
>
> I will let people decide as I did for the inclusion of webClient and we will
> rewrite one if
> necessary and it will be MIT. This will be the same for the equivalent of
> SqueakSSL
> we will try as much as possible to offer an infrastructure that let people
> control
> their life and make money.
>
> Our goal is to have a core that could be bootstrap so to have many packages
> as external as possible
> now I thought that it would help people to have webClient and also help us to
> remove this ugly network
> package.
> I should have know before the other HTTPClient library and we will not be
> here losing our time.
>
> Stef

Certainly, you don't have to convince me :).
You might have to convince Andreas (I don't see him in copy).
Maybe let another Pharoer negotiate...

cheers

Nicolas