Le 26/09/2014 23:22, Alain Rastoul a écrit :
Le 26/09/2014 20:47, stepharo a écrit :
I'm not expert and I would like to know what people think.
But I think that we should consider

     - the impact of spur new object format. I would like to have
unicode and clean the leadChar

Stef

Just to start a new thread about that, because it deserves it
and also some people might appreciate :)
(was in: "Ridiculous we are").

I may not be the most qualified to state on that but I give my 2c
(this is a community isn't it ? please do not flame...)

As Sven said, the situation is not so bad (quite good in fact): Pharo
has true unicode built-in support with WideString and encoders (great
job, IMHO this part of Zn components should be in the base system
or in an internationalization package  not hidden in an htpp components
package).
- encoding support has to be in the system : ZnEncoders(?) for utf8,
unicode and other encoders for locale support because of existing system
basis, web (utf8) and internationalization.
- this will be transparent: Smalltalk is a typeless langage, one do not
have to specify String type (ByteString or WideString)
- Spur new character encoding is very interesting (in alpha stage now)
and will be transparent for the same reason (though I'm still wondering
of the 32bits/64 bits encoding on a 64 bits vm?).
- ByteString is needed for most european/occidental people who don't
care about internationalization and should stay because Pharo is an
european/english based system , also not to break existing code
(again will be transparent to most users for same reason).
- some parts of the system seems to be not "WideString/unicode aware" :
Pasting a Greek string in a workspace shows hieroglyphs (editors?
morph?), but GT Inspector display is ok.
Font plugin seems to require little work : uses fopen instead of _wfopen
(utf16 version) on windows and needs utf8 convertion on unix.
may be a check with File plugin (and other system related plugins) is
also needed?

In short, some little additionnal work but a very good basis.
(but what is leadChar about?)

Regards,

Alain

This was not a new thread indeed, I did "respond to group"
I am ridiculous ... hahaha
:)