You can indeed interpret My Cases as "assigned to me" but my first thought
was when I saw "My Cases" is to assume that is the cases i opened.

In any case I created my own custom filter with openedBy:me and saved it as
"My Opened Cases" and I also used the Henrik suggestion to subscribe to all
relevant opened and closed case I am interested for. So hopefully this is
the end of my frustration though I am sure I will find something to
complain about :D

So yes fogbuz is not that bad once you figure out how it works, but is
confusing for newcomers to say the least.