mind maps can extend into infinite complexity and detail, so yes the mind
map will become a memory the more you use it but you still can create
thousands of mind maps like I did with little chance of remembering all.

I will say that for experts mind maps are far more important because a
newbie even though he or she may benefit from it, the beginner concept are
simple enough to be found among tutorials and documentation.

On the other hands experts tend to dive a lot deepers into areas that are
not well documented obscure and difficult to understand . This is where
mind maps shine.

I used mind maps on my master degree where we dealt with very special
complex cases that went far beyond the fundamentals of law. To be exact
Commercial and E-Commercial Law. My dissertation was quite a challenge, was
dealing with the legal protections offered against malicious attacks and
malicious software.

Mind maps helped me identify important key points that was very hard to
understand just by reading text and trying to memories and make sense of
it.

I even passed some exams using nothing more than mind maps created by other
students in a fraction of time it would have taken by just reading the
books.

Of course to form any kind of map you need first to explore.

But personally I more interested in expert and not beginner mind maps.
Especially areas that even this mailing list has problems providing an
answer.