On 15 April 2017 at 14:45, Esteban Lorenzano <esteba...@gmail.com> wrote:

> this belongs to pharo-dev, please continue there :)

Looks to me like I should make a small replacement for mvm that is for nix.

Nix indeed does its own thing.

The downside is that it's restricted: the build runs in a sandbox, can't
touch the network, has to declare the sha256 of any dependencies that it
needs. Nothing - not one byte - is allowed to change from one build to the
next without being accounted for and that breaks the mvm script.

On the plus side it will supply all of the dependencies, with exactly the
expected version and exactly the expected build options, so that is less
work for mvm to do i.e. the third-party stuff should be taken care of
automatically.

I'm taking a poke now.

However, I must remind myself that this is a distraction, since I am trying
to get a _stable_ VM for Pharo 5.0. Somehow I have been swept up in this
enthusiasm for building the bleeding edge Pharo 6.0 VM that is not actually
of any practical use to me :-) although it will be in the near future.