On Wed, Aug 16, 2017 at 02:24:15PM -0300, Esteban A. Maringolo wrote:
> My solution in the cases where I was worried about a config file leak
> was to mitigate the risk, by using symmetric encryption algorithms,
> where the shared secret is split in two different strings and
> concatenated at runtime. The image, in turn holds the encryption key

Take a look at SpsSplitPasswordStore, which is a simple secret splitter.

  http://ss3.gemtalksystems.com/ss/SpsSplitPasswordStore.html/
  http://samadhiweb.com/blog/2013.08.11.splitpasswordstore.html

Can be adapted to encrypt/decrypt the secret, with the cipher key also split,
perhaps with one part stored in the image and another part fetched online from
somewhere.

I haven't touched the code in a while, but the Pharo 5 image that runs my blog
is using this for the RFBServer passwords.

Pierce